Shrub is both a fruit syrup added to many era beverages, as well as the drinks containing it. This is the recipe for the mix..
- 4 qt fresh berries. Raspberries are traditional, but blueberry, cranberry, strawberry, and even apples can be used)
- vinegar (cider vinegar is best for this)
- water or soda water
- Place raspberries in large bowl or jar.
- Cover with vinegar, just enough so that the berries will not float.
- Allow the mixture to stand overnight.
- In the morning squeeze mixture through a cheesecloth.
- For each cup of strained liquid, add 1 cup sugar; boil for 20 minutes. Bottle when cool. Store in cool place.