Flips were a sailor drink from at least the 1600s, if not earlier. Beer, rum, egg, and sugar were poured into a cup, and a hot iron was dipped in and ‘flipped’ (stirred vigorously) about to mix and heat the drink.
- 1 quart ale
- 2 shots rum
- 2 egg whites, 4 egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- Gently boil ale in a saucepan
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add in yolks and sugar and beat until even.
- When ale boils, remove from heat and slowly mix in eggs. Stir constantly to prevent egg from clumping.
- (Optional) Pour back and forth between bowl and pot, to make more frothy.
- Add rum, and pour into mugs.
- Dust with nutmeg.