Fritters are an incredibly versatile food. Fried bread of one form or another exists in almost every culture in thousands of variations.
This version is more ‘desserty’ then most. A nice treat that pairs well with cream (or ice cream).
Makes 12 fritters
- 1 1/2 cups ripe fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, plantain, guava, or just about any fruit)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (plus enough to fry the fritters)
- Stir milk, flower and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, vanilla, nutmeg, salt and vegetable oil. Mix well.
- Mash the fruit thoroughly and mix into the batter.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet until very hot. Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter and fry until crisp.
- Serve while hot, sprinkled with sugar or jam.
- Some people might be tempted to add a bit of sugar to the mix. I feel the fruit sweetens it enough.
- Replacing the milk with coconut milk gives a more tropical flavor, and sweetens the recipe.