Another recipe that while tropical, probably isn’t very piraty. These cookies are, however, amazingly good.
Makes: 15 cookies.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flower
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dark rum
- Butter a cookie sheet and preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and set aside.
- Sift the flower, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, place the butter and about 1/3rd of the flower mixture to the butter and cream until smooth. (While it is cleaner to use a spoon, we recommend using your hands, as it is faster and gives your a better feel for when it is done.)
- Add about 3 Tbsp of the egg (save the rest for later) and the rum. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in another 1/3rd of the flower mix and mix well. Then add final third. Mix until flower is fully incorporated. Then fold in coconut flakes.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of the batter onto cookie sheet. Leave plenty of space as cookies will flatten with cooking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges have browned. Brush tops with egg and return to the over for 3-5 more minutes until tops are golden.