This makes for a striking centerpiece to a meal, with the fruit showing through the skin of the hen. With a bit of effort, you can arrange them into patterns. The sweet-savory mix makes for an interesting taste that is not common today.
Makes: 1 hen
- 1 large hen
- 1 cup of currants, raisins, dates, or other dried fruit
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 7 Tbsp of butter
- Mix fruit, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter until even.
- Push mixture, not into the body cavity, but under the skin all around the hen.
- Place in a pan and cook at 300°f until its done.
- For a more typical taste, replace the sugar and cinnamon with sage and whole bay leaves.