“Stamp and Go” of course refers to the method. Stamp them out and they are ready to go. I like it because it also hints at the style of work shanty. Of course, you can combine the two, and sing while making them!
Makes: 6-8 cakes.
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flower
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp achiote oil
- 1/2 lb prepared salt cod (see this for preparation)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and chili pepper to taste.
- Stir the baking powder into the flower. Slowly stir in milk. You want a very dry dough to be made.
- Blend together cod, scallions, and bell pepper.
- Mix dough and mixture together thoroughly. Add chili and salt.
- In a large pot heat oil to 370 degrees. Form cakes by hand or use heaping tablespoons. Drop into the oil one by one until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a oven set on low.
- Serve with a sharp tomato sauce or hot sauce.