At first glance, not very piratey, this recipe is quite simple, tasty, and festive.
- 1/2 cup Basmati or long-grain rice
- 2 small bell peppers, seeded and chopped into small bits (it looks nicer if they are all different colors)
- 1 scallion, tops only, finely snipped
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Boil the rice in water until halfway done (7-8 minutes)
- Add the bell pepper and scallion and boil until rice is tender (7-8 more minutes)
- Drain rice with a sieve, set the sieve over a bot of simmering water to steam until ready to serve.
- Fill a small ramekin or round-bottomed teacup with the rice mixture and press down. Flip over onto serving plate. Repeat for each serving
- Add some color with turmeric, saffron or achitoe oil in the cooking water.
- A similar recipe adds pineapple and ginger instead of (or in addition to) the pepper and scallion.