A very common soup from Madagascar, the legendary ‘Kingdom of the Pirates’. This recipe is common, but pretty much any fresh vegetables can be substituted.
- 2 qt soup stock (Bone Soup is perfect for this)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped.
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped.
- 6-8 scallions, cut into pieces
- 1 cup string beans
- 1 cup tomatoes, quartered.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Combine ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Put the vegetables through a blender until pureed. This will be a thick soup! If you want you can boil the vegetables very well, then smash them by hand. But the blender is easier…
- You can thin the soup a bit by adding water.
- Salt will often be needed for western palates.
- This soup is not hurt by adding a bit of sausage or other spicy meat.