Another recipe likely from Africa. It’s a great way to get rid of leftover chicken (or other meats).
- 1-2 pounds of chicken
- 1 cup roasted Spanish or African peanuts
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 pt coconut milk or heave cream or evaporated milk
- 2 jiggers dark rum (optional, but recommended)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- Salt, pepper, and chili pepper to taste
- Cover the chicken with water in a covered pot. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add extra water as needed.
- Strain and reserve the liquid.
- Put chicken meat into processor with peanuts, allspice, nutmeg, mace, and ginger. Add in 1/2 cup of stock.
- Process until thoroughly pureed.
- Pour remaining stock into saucepan. Add the paste from the processor and mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for half an hour.
- Stir in coconut milk and add salt, pepper and chili pepper.
- If the soup is too thin, stir egg yolk in a cup with some of the soup, then pour slowly into the pan, stirring, until the soup thickens.
- Just before serving, mix in the rum.
- Serve with croutons (in soup) or hard tack
- Replace chicken with a can of Corned Beef. Add 1 Tbsp of Hot English Mustard when blending.
- Instead of chicken, peel the casings off 1/2 lb. Sausage.