Likely not to be served on board a ship (at least, not after the first day or two), this salad (and variants) is common through the Caribbean and southern United States.
- 1 large head of Boston or similar lettuce OR 3-4 Belgian endives.
- 1 large, ripe avocado (sliced thin or julianned)
- 2 large cucumbers (peeled and cored, sliced)
- 1 large mango (julianned)
oil and vinegar dressing
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cider or balsamic vinegar (You may substitute lime juice for vinegar for a more Caribbean flavor)
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
- ½ cup red wine (optional)