Squashes are a new world vegetable that were used as a staple starch, much like we use that other new world vegetable, the potato. For a change of pace, try your favorite potato recipe with a squash, Chaote, Butternut, Calabaza or Acorn are all great choices for this.
- 1 chaote squash (or ~1 lb other squash)
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Toss in Chaote. Gently fry, covered (shake or stir occasionally to prevent sticking) until squash is tender and crisp (appx. 10-15 minutes)
- Fry with onions, or salted pork. Or both. A spicy sausage also works well.
- Melt cheese over top (queso blanko is perfect)
- A tablespoon of curry powder or paprika near the end really perks up the dish.
- Instead of butter, try some olive oil and add some parsley to the squash.